Car accident injuries can range from minor cuts or bruises to severe, life-threatening ones like traumatic brain injuries. Fortunately, it is possible to receive compensation from the party at fault.
If you want to ensure you recover compensation following a car accident, it is best to do so as soon as possible. It is equally important to speak with an experienced auto accident lawyer like Richman Law Offices. Working with a reputable personal injury attorney in the Greater Cincinnati area can help you protect your financial and legal interests.
Understanding the Time Limit for Filing an Injury Claim After a Car Accident
One of the most asked questions of people who have been in car accidents is usually: “How long after a car accident can I claim injury compensation?”
Here in Ohio, the statute of limitations for a car accident lawsuit or injury claim is two years. This is the maximum amount of time you have to file your lawsuit or claims in order to receive due compensation. The two years start on the date that the accident or injuries occurred.
Once the two years pass, you lose the right to file your injury claim and to hold the party at fault responsible in court. As such, taking immediate action is always the best in these cases.
Factors Affecting the Time Frame for Filing a Car Accident Injury Claim
Take note that delays in treatment can significantly and negatively affect your claim. However, there are some factors that can significantly impact the timeline for filing an injury claim. These can affect not only how long it can take you to initiate the claims process but also how long it can take to collect compensation or win the lawsuit.
Three of these factors are:
- Extent of injuries: The severity of your injuries may require you to focus on your recovery first. In extreme cases, plaintiffs may need to wait until they reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) to fully and accurately assess the extent of their injuries, expenses, and future medical needs to determine appropriate compensation.
- Medical treatments: Seeking prompt medical treatment is always crucial — not only for your health and safety but also for the integrity of your injury claims. Knowing the extent of your injuries and its effects, as well as having medical records proving such, further strengthens your claims, so it is best to have them on hand before filing.
- Property damage: The damage to your car and other property can also be included in your filing for compensation. However, it can take some time to assess the extent of the damage and provide accurate estimates of your losses.
Waiting for even a week can give the opposing party or your insurance provider room to counter your claim and say your injuries resulted from a different incident. They may also downplay the extent of your injuries, since you may have already healed in the time it takes you to file your claims.
This possibility further highlights the importance of seeking treatment and documenting your injuries immediately.
Gathering Evidence To Strengthen Your Claim
In addition to having official medical records to back your claims, other evidence such as photographs is important to have as well. Below is a list of essential evidence you need to collect:
- Photos of bodily injuries
- Photos of the accident site
- Photos of all vehicles involved
- Police reports
- Eyewitness testimonies
- Medical records, such as official diagnosis and a record of expenses
- Doctor’s statements
Having a reliable legal partner is a huge help in this stage of the process. If you sustained severe injuries, Richman Law Offices can assist you in gathering all the necessary evidence. Moreover, we will not only collect and record everything; we ensure they are properly preserved to further help your case.
Seeking Legal Representation and Filing the Injury Claim
If you want to ensure you receive the fair compensation you deserve, it is best to seek legal representation. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney from Richman Law Offices offers benefits such as:
- Expert knowledge of the personal injury claims and auto insurance laws
- Accurate assessment economic and non-economic damages
- Assistance in collecting and preserving evidence
- Reliable legal representative in court-related matters
Moreover, your personal injury or car accident injury attorney will be invaluable in evaluating your claims. We can also handle negotiations with insurance companies, helping you avoid further headaches and allowing you to focus on your recovery.
An experienced lawyer from Richman Law Offices can help you throughout all the steps of filing an accident or injury claim. These include:
- Contacting your car insurance provider
- Filing a police report
- Gathering witness information
- Taking photographic evidence
- Documenting medical expenses, recovery, and impact of your injuries
- Talking with an adjuster, if needed
- Preparing all necessary documentation
- Establishing negligence
- Serving notice of personal injury claim
- Filing the personal injury lawsuit in court
- Participating in mediation
The Importance of Timely Action in the Claim Process
When filing an auto accident injury claim, it is crucial to do so promptly. The sooner you file your claim, the sooner you may receive compensation to pay for medical care and property damages, as well as supplement any lost wages.
From our experience, clients who acted swiftly and sought legal representation immediately had higher odds of securing favorable compensation. Filing claims sooner generally gives you a stronger case, as there is a lower risk of evidence loss. Even if you experience any delays in the process, you do not risk going beyond the two-year limit.
Additionally, waiting too long to file can give the opposing party more time to counter your claims and weaken your case.
The Bottom Line
Prompt action is crucial in any car injury case. The sooner you discuss your case with a reputable and reliable lawyer, the sooner you can initiate the claims process and protect your rights to receive due compensation.
At Richman Law Offices, we offer caring support and take an assertive stance in your fight to receive due compensation. We have handled countless auto accident cases in the Greater Cincinnati area.
You can count on our lawyers to handle your case with a high level of expertise and your best interests in mind. Our team will build a solid case to support your claims and ensure a smooth, successful claims process.
Visit our website to let our team review your case, or call our office at 513-621-0000 today.